Thursday, May 15, 2008

tO KiLL oR Not To kILL

Euthanasia, is the topic of discussion for today.

From what I hear, there appears to be broadly two camps. One camp speaks of respecting human rights, including the right for a person to kill himself. The other camp talks about respecting human life, and bids us keep in mind the sanctity of our being.

A person is deemed adult, independent, and able to make decisions for herself when she turns 18 or 21 or some such age as a country’s government and judicial system so dictate. From a logical point of view, the fact that I can make independent decisions for myself on what to do or what not to do, implies that I have the right to choose to kill myself, so long as it does not cause harm to others.

Yet human life, or any life for that matter, deserves to be respected. Religion aside, we all know our life on earth, the very fact of our existence, is this big fluke that happens only once. Life, as we know it, is to be regarded as sacred. Which is why murderers get put behind bars as punishment when they kill someone.

It’s a tough call. I have the right to make decisions regarding my own life. At the same time, my life deserves to be treated with respect. So when I do decide to kill myself, will I be no different than a murderer?

And he also said to me, “Be gentle with your self."

No comments: