Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I aM ReaDy To FiGHt

I could sense he was coming. It’s difficult to explain, this sense. But I know it, in the deepest part of my being. I can recognize this familiar stirring. Like how some people can smell the rain coming. And I was right.

Mr. D dropped by for a visit. Actually it wasn’t too long ago that I saw him. But the last few times I met him have been lackluster. It was a little different today. We spoke about dreams, about goals, about aspirations.

While I had lofty thoughts of saving the world, Mr. D felt that human existence was just a slow walk to death. While I wanted to be able to effect change in the world, Mr. D felt that nothing we do makes a difference. I look at the enormity of life, and I am humbled. Mr. D looks at the enormity of life, and he is defeated.

There was a time when I would have agreed with Mr. D. But I have come to take a different attitude towards life these days. More relaxed, perhaps. A world-view that has expanded. Something about hope and grace.

So follow your heart for your heart knows best.

No comments: