Monday, May 26, 2008

The DReaMeR iN mE

It is said there is a time and a season for everything. How do you know?

How do I know when is the season to pursue my dreams? How do I know when is the time to give up on my dreams?

It is like flying a kite. If you hold on too tightly to the string you deny the kite a chance to soar and reveal its beauty in the skies. If you let go too quickly the string may snag in the winds and you lose your kite forever.

I am a big believer in dreams. Or I used to be. I believed in all the fairytales of happily-ever-after, naively thinking that if I dreamed hard enough, my dreams would come true. I had dreams of writing books and winning the Nobel Prize for Literature. I had dreams of becoming a famous ballerina. OK, I admit it, I was a big sucker for dreams back then.

Time has made me more jaded now. Cautious, perhaps. You learn to be like that, when you’ve had one too many dreams ripped out from inside you. It is depressing, you know, when all that you ever believed in betray you. And as you watch on in helpless horror, you realise the world has adopted a new logic that now defies your understanding.

Maybe I didn’t dream hard enough.

No comments: