Monday, March 17, 2008

voYeUR

Since I stopped working, I have been introduced to the wonders of MSN Messaging, Skype and Facebook. Quite amazing tools, I must say, as they possess the power to transcend time and distance. As my friend remarked when we were having a video-call online, “It’s almost as if I never left!

If you’ve noticed, there is this very interesting feature that allows you to “hide” and yet still be able to see what is going on. When I’m really bored, I would go into Facebook and check out friends of my friends (who may be strangers to me) to see what they are like/ what they are up to. It doesn’t actually serve any real purpose, just snooping around to waste time. The Internet is fast becoming the lifeline that connects us all. Don’t want to speak with a friend? Just block her from your list. Feel like avoiding someone? Just appear offline and pretend you are invisible. Or, simply surf around and get a 411 on anyone who catches your fancy.

Anonymity online offers us both power as well as vulnerabilities. Read like an open book? Just remember not to judge a book by its cover!

The blood of the voyeur runs in me.

No comments: