Monday, March 10, 2008

aLl ThiNGs oLd

My digital sports watch has gone nutty. It now beeps every time it gets to half-past the hour. So it beeps at 12.30, 1.30, 2.30, 3.30…. you get the drift… 24 beeps a day. I wonder why it’s doing that. The last time I used it was when I went jogging and put the stopwatch on. I mean, I wasn’t even trying to fiddle with the alarm setup. I guess it’s no surprise that I much prefer analog watches (the sports watch being my only concession to “digitalise” my time).

Just like how I prefer analog cameras. I enjoy the single-mindedness in which you need to load in the film without wasting any exposures. Turning the counter every time you had snapped something to check how many photos were left. The excitement of going to the photo-shop to pick up the photos that have been developed.

And I still faithfully buy CDs. Can’t quite get the hang of mp3. Never owned an iPod. I like to listen to music loud and with surround-sound effect. I have a mini-hi-fi in my room, and that keeps me happy. Although I’m increasingly relying on “borrowing” mp3s from my friends to load onto my mobile phone so I have some company on my long trips out.

When it comes to technology stuff, I guess I’m a bit of a Luddite. Not that I am anti-technology. No, I fully appreciate the modern conveniences like microwave ovens and washing machines. Inertia probably, like if my old ways of doing things still work, why should I bother to change?

After all, Cinderella was supposed to leave by the stroke of midnight, or her carriage will turn into a pumpkin. And when the clock strikes one, the mouse ran down.

Hickory-Dickory-Dock!

No comments: