Tuesday, November 25, 2008

LonGEr thaN ALwaYs

I must have mentioned that I am not the most patient person. I may be lazy and like to procrastinate, but I am still an impatient person. So while I was waiting for the little green man at the traffic light the other day, I nearly killed myself by trying to jaywalk.

You know how they say that just before you die you will see your life flash by you in an instant? Well, that didn’t really happen. It was just a black blankness in my head. There weren’t any bright white lights, nor were there film reels of my life. There was nothing.

I suspect death is a lot like that. Just a black blankness stretching into forever. Without consciousness, there can be nothing. At least, I don’t think it is something that we can comprehend while we are awake. Except for our dreams, our sleeping hours are an unreality to our conscious minds.

Maybe dying is like falling asleep. Just longer than always.
.

1 comment:

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

"To sleep, perchance to dream", as a grayte old Bear wunce sed :@}