Wednesday, June 17, 2009

yiN YoGa

I have recently been very taken with a new form of yoga known as yin yoga. Instead of focusing on achieving different poses quickly and toning muscles in the process, yin yoga is about holding the poses for a long period of time (5 minutes) thereby stretching the ligaments and improving flexibility.

The whole theory behind yin yoga is fascinating, having to do with the Eastern concept of meridians within our bodies. The duality of the yin-yang concept is also very interesting. For example, I learnt today that the lower body is more yin (towards the earth) while the upper body is more yang (towards the heavens). Breathing through the left nostril is yin (feminine) while breathing through the right nostril is yang (masculine).

I love how things balance out in yin yoga. I love holding the poses for a long time, feeling the deep stretch working its way through my body. For it is, to me, as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one. I’m into lesson number 5 and I’m loving it.

Yin yoga – the way to go!
.

No comments: