Wednesday, April 21, 2010

GoOD dEedS

Some time back, on this blog actually, I made a resolution to do at least one good deed a day. I must confess I embraced the spirit of this resolution much more heartily than I could execute it. Because it is so much easier to walk past the blind man singing his heart out, so much easier to feign ignorance when people ask you for help, so much easier to just turn and go on your merry way. So no, I have not managed to do at least one good deed a day.

Helping people, I think, involves putting yourself out on the line. And maybe, that’s what makes the whole deal awkward. Perhaps because I have not integrated a helping mindset into my daily living, it feels like I have to step out of my comfort zone in order to help people. Sometimes that can prove embarrassing, like when an elderly man vehemently refuses the seat you offer him. Sometimes that can prove time-consuming, like helping the old lady inch her way from the bus stop to the train station. Sometimes that can be frustrating, like trying to give directions or explain the train network system to someone who does not have a good grasp of English.

It’s not about repayment. It’s about making good with your life.
.

No comments: