Thursday, July 10, 2008

ShADowS

It was very late in life when I learnt a simple fact, that humans are not perfect. That we have our weaknesses, our failings, our bad habits, our share of broken promises. That we can’t always be right, that we can’t always be expected to be right.

For whatever they say about failures making us stronger people, about mistakes that empower us, about standing taller after we fall, I didn’t believe them. After all, my idols then were iconic figures in their own right. Margaret Thatcher, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Maya Angelou. They were indestructible. I mean, for the longest time, I was under the illusion that they didn’t even have to answer to nature’s call and go to the toilet.

I guess in my own make-believe world, equilibrium can only be achieved when everything is perfect, and perfectly balanced. Like a snow-globe. The beauty wasn’t in shaking and watching the snow fall. For me, it was the settling snow revealing the magnificent scene inside that mattered.

Have you noticed there are no shadows in an office building?
.

No comments: