Thursday, July 3, 2008

mE = 7 HeaDS?

My parents enrolled me in drawing lessons when I was young. Not that I remember them particularly, but I remember seeing my own crayon-coloured creations. I like drawing. Well, to put it more accurately, I like the idea of drawing. I think it is a gift to be able to draw well.

In school, we were made to draw many things. From bunches of grapes and bowls of apples and pears, to toothbrushes, to creating belt buckles and robots. And my most memorable, having to take off our shoes and draw them for our yearly art exam.

When our teacher decided to teach us how to draw humans, I was quite excited. It would be infinitely more exciting to have people in my illustrated stories rather than the usual talking flowers and butterflies.

So I learnt that a human body is roughly made up of 7 heads. Proportionately, a person would have 3 heads for the upper torso (including our original head), and 4 heads for the legs. Model-esque body no doubt. Which basically meant I was back to drawing ovals as heads, 7 ovals to draw a person. Like 7 apples in a fruit bowl.

I was never really good in art.

No comments: