Saturday, April 26, 2008

tHe MinD Is tHE MaTteR

As I was jogging today, I kept telling myself, “Stamina, not speed. Stamina, not speed. Stamina, not speed…” They always say it’s a question of mind over matter. And I have always wondered, who are the “they”? And why are the clichés always so… you know… so true? I guess that’s what makes them clichés? Pity I wasn’t the wise person who came up with them.

My mind wanders while I am jogging. I always start out trying to have a conversation with God. But it often peters out as I get distracted by the things that pass me by.

I look at the ixora shrubs, and I am reminded of how I used to yank off bunches of the flowers, pull out their stamen, and taste the sweet nectar right at the tip. It fascinated me to no end. The fact that I could actually taste the nectar of a flower, just like a bee or bird or butterfly can (if they do taste nectar from flowers, that is).

I look at fellow joggers and I wonder why are they running, how far have they been running. And of course, would I be able to catch up with them if we were in a race? Sometimes I’ll pass the same jogger twice in our routes, and there is that awkward moment of whether I should smile in acknowledgement (or encouragement), or just avoid eye contact.

I look at the people strolling by, the people waiting for taxis or buses, the cyclists with their shrill bell to catch my attention (which irritates me to no end because I think of a bicycle as a mode of transport in itself and therefore should not be on a pedestrian walkway!). Anyhow, I am always curious to find out what those people are thinking when they see me running past. Because some days I run with confident strides. Other days I run away in desperation. Still other days that I just… run. And it’s interesting to note that it is those days where I am running without an agenda that I am able to run the furthest.

So is it really a question of mind over matter?

I don’t know, for sometimes, my mind likes to play tricks on me.

No comments: