Wednesday, April 2, 2008

LetTEr tO yOU, fRieNd

Dear friend,

I haven’t written to you in a while. Not in such a public sphere anyway. But then I thought, what’s the harm?

You have always told me, we are more than our feelings, a whole lot more than anger or happiness or sadness or joy or pain or euphoria. You used the analogy of a jewel to explain to me, that each feeling is like a facet of the jewel, nothing more and nothing less. A cut of the diamond reflects light and brilliance, but that is not all of the diamond. So also we cannot let just one emotion or feeling define who we are.

Having pondered on this for some time, I have come to a conclusion. About the fundamental difference between us. While I am scared to reveal my vulnerabilities, when I do decide to share my weaknesses, it is because I am looking for sympathy, consolation, and a shoulder to cry on. You, on the other hand, are able to express your brokenness and struggles, not because you need pity, but because you use this freedom to learn more about yourself.

A bird in a gilded cage will not know what she is missing because she has never enjoyed the freedom of soaring through the fluffy white clouds in the baby blue skies.

Friend, you have the keys. Would you let me out so I can fly where you have been and feel the wind whip through my wings?

dEliRiuM

No comments: