Friday, November 30, 2007

tHE paRAdOx Of SiLEncE

Silence, can be very frightening. It makes me feel alone, and so lonely. It makes me go scrambling for my CDs and mp3s, my stereo and my handphone. It makes me want to chatter endlessly. It is a silence that is so loud I need to do everything I can to block it out. It is the silence when I am with others.

Silence, can be very comforting. It makes me feel alone, and so peaceful. It gives me space to breathe. It makes me want to sit down and spend time with it. It is a whisper that makes me want to stop doing everything I can to soak it in. It is the silence when I am alone.

I am slowly learning to distinguish between the different silences, and the emotions they create in me.

Whether I feel uneasy. Or whether I feel calm.

Whether I am standing outside looking in. Or whether I am standing inside looking out.

Whether it paralyses me. Or whether it sets me free.

No comments: