Saturday, May 1, 2010

PasSiVE

I remember it was at a group sharing or meeting or some such event at university, where we had to introduce ourselves to one another, with the usual, “… and my hobbies are…” My friends in New Zealand had really exotic pastimes like tramping or mountaineering or horse-riding. I stuck with my usual reading and writing, and added sewing as an afterthought.

Even as a child, my hobbies were relatively low-key like collecting stamps and stickers. Outdoorsy stuff was a little intimidating for me, they provided way too many opportunities for me to get hurt. Which probably explains why I still can’t skate or ride a bike to this day. So it must have been a bit of a miracle that I did manage to learn how to swim.

I am generally a person of little movement. Which basically means I could be holed up in my house the whole day, not go out into human civilisation, and still be OK. If I were a gas, I think I can be described as inert. And when I was in US last year, I concluded that I could go for four days without speaking to anyone (before I go mad).

He said I am not a good conversationalist.
.

No comments: