Friday, March 26, 2010

uNDeR thE tReEs

Our friendship goes way back. To a time when it had seemed impossible we would be friends. But over time, reality unfolded in ways we could not have predicted. Life happened in ways we could not have imagined.

What first started was when you broke through my wall. The wall I had carefully built over the years to protect myself. Somehow, you saw me hiding behind the wall, small and scared. And you proceeded to take down the wall, brick by brick, until you could reach me. I have forgotten how long it took, except that I was both awed as well as annoyed at your patience.

Yet once we connected, it was electric. We were, for each other, the sibling we dreamed and prayed for, made more poignant because we shared no blood relation. We spoke daily, often more than once a day. It seemed as if we could never run out of things to say to each other. We would share our day in excruciating detail, and still we would be eager for more. I miss that sometimes, just picking up the phone to call you and have a conversation until forever (or until someone else needed to use the phone).

You were always the stronger one. You were always the one who took care of me. I was so unschooled in the ways of the world then. And you were, and still are, very generous of your time and love. For that, I will be always grateful. And I want you to know, that in your darkness, I am only ever just a heartbeat away.

I remember now. It was a sunny day, and we were standing under some huge rain trees for shade. That was when we spoke our first words to each other. Tentatively.

That, was where our friendship took flight.
.

No comments: