Monday, November 23, 2009

ThaT pOSteR gOt Me ThiNKinG

As I was on my way to the post office today, I came across a poster with a picture of an old man. Worried family members had posted it because the elderly gentleman is missing. He is suffering from dementia, so he doesn’t know his way home.

That poster got me thinking.

When I grow old, would I rather have a feeble body or a feeble mind?

I love my mind. I love being able to think. I cannot imagine living without my faculty of thought intact. Yet ironically, when I am losing my mind, I probably would have no clue that I am losing my mind. So would that still matter?

I love my physical body too. Most of it anyway. I shudder to think of the time when my body will start failing me. Or when pain starts to eat away at my being. At that point, would having my fully functioning mind make me any happier knowing my body is degenerating?

I don’t know the answers. Do you?
.

No comments: