Saturday, August 15, 2009

tHe iNHeriTanCe of DebT

One thing I noticed is there are a lot of homeless people in the US. Come night, they appear from nowhere and place themselves in the doorways of shops and houses. Basically, whatever little shelter they can get. And in the day, they disappear into thin air. Like they know to tidy up and hide themselves away from the public eye.

Poverty is a difficult issue to grapple with. More so when I see the disparity between the rich and the poor. On my good days, I think I want to share all I have with the homeless and the poor. On my not-so-good days, I think I want to hoard all I have and live the high life myself.

How do I justify handing out a dollar to this beggar but not the next? Where does one begin giving and where does one stop? What can be done to break this cycle of poverty? By giving them handouts, are we encouraging them to continue with this lifestyle where they can just barely get by? Or do we equip them with some skill where they can sustain a decent existence through their own merit?

My heart goes out to these homeless people.
.

No comments: