Wednesday, May 20, 2009

tHE nuMbER gAMe

Numbers play an important role in our lives. Math is, after all, one of the compulsory subjects we have to study in school. And memorizing the times table is like learning our ABCs.

I must have mentioned this before, that I like odd numbers. I like how there is a middle number, with an equal number of numbers that fall on either side of it. I like 13, it is my favourite number, despite people associating it with death and scary things. I used to like 21 when I was younger, I would keep all my bus ticket stubs that added up to 21. I also like the 9 times table, how you can magically calculate the numbers with a trick of your fingers.

In every culture, I think there are different beliefs and values placed on numbers. But one thing is for certain, and that is the intricate web of relationship that we share with numbers. In my part of the world, 4 is bad (death) and 8 is good (prosperity).

I wonder who will be the lucky reader number 8888?
.

No comments: