Tuesday, September 2, 2008

TeCHnoLoGy

I was chatting with a friend about the conveniences that modern technology affords us today. I mean, I don’t think I can survive now without a microwave or a washing machine. And without my mobile phone or the Internet, I would feel so displaced, dislocated even, from the world around me.

It used to be that we could only chat with friends over the phone when they were home. Now we are intruded every second with SMS and phone calls. It used to be that I had to hand write letters home every week when I was in university. Now there’s email and Skype and MSN messaging.

The growth of this technological revolution is impressive. More so because it is happening in a generation where I can appreciate the “before” and the “after”. Just when I have figured out how to read a paper map, mobile phones are now equipped with GPS (GPRS?) capability. Sometimes, even the acronyms escape me.

I worry about the younger generation. I worry about the limitless possibilities that they need to face when growing up. I worry about the endless information streams they need to sort through. I worry about the loss of human interaction when one can so easily hide behind this “interface” called a computer.

But mostly, I worry that I may not be able to keep up with them.
.

No comments: