Thursday, September 4, 2008

laNGuAgE & ThoUGht

Language and thought have fascinated me since I was young. How we use words to communicate with one another intrigues me. How meaning is passed on from one person to the next captivates me. For a long time now, I have been absorbed by the tenuous relation between language, thought and meaning.

Do thoughts exist before language? Or does language exist before thoughts? Before we had words, did we have thoughts? Before we had thoughts, did we need words? Is thought matter, and language is just a way of encoding thoughts?

I find such philosophical ruminations stimulating. Perhaps in some strange way, they help me grapple with the meaning of my life. Personally, I’d like to think that language is more than just a vehicle for expressing thoughts.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
.

No comments: