Friday, January 11, 2008

No CoURaGe wiTHoUt fEAr

“Maldivian president Maumoon Abdul Gayoom escaped assassination in his Indian Ocean archipelago on Tuesday, thanks to a teenage boy scout who wrestled back a knife-wielding attacker.”

Clap clap clap for the boy. A hero! That takes guts. That takes resolve. That takes faith. That takes courage.

Now, what would make the boy do that? Grab hold of a knife with his bare hands! Was it love and affection for his president? Was it instinctual? Was he out of his mind?

I am sure many thoughts raced through his head at that moment he reached out. Who is this fellow waving a knife in front of me? What is he trying to do? I can’t let him harm anyone. Will it hurt if I grab the knife? I am scared. Will I die? What if I can’t stop him?

Having guts and resolve, faith and courage, doesn’t mean there is no fear. I think it is in recognizing fear, and acknowledging it, that brings about guts and resolve, faith and courage.

“Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.” (Seneca)

No comments: