Tuesday, September 25, 2007

bAg-LAdY

I saw a bag lady the other day. Or rather, I smelt her first before I saw her tiny little body shuffling in front of me. It wasn’t just the “old-people” smell she had on her but something more human, like she probably hadn’t showered in months.

And in that instance, I was very grateful for the thick wooly jacket I was wearing. My sister and I were returning to the youth hostel where we had a nice clean room and hot running water to bathe in.

Sometimes it is so easy to forget little luxuries of life that we take for granted. Like having a full wardrobe of clean clothes to pick from. Money to buy a meal. A bed to sleep on. A roof over our heads. Or you being able to use a computer to access the internet to read this.

It must be really awful being homeless in winter.

No comments: